With a split-system heat pump, parts of the unit will be on the inside, while other components will be on the outside. Several types of heat pumps are available, including ductless, mini-split, geothermal and air-source.
Like any piece of HVAC equipment, proper maintenance is key. The filters should be cleaned once a month or as needed, and other maintenance should be performed according to the manufacturer’s instructions. According to research, the difference between the energy consumption of a properly-maintained heat pump and a neglected one ranges from 10 to 25 percent, which can really lighten your wallet.
For more information about heat pumps in McKinney or the surrounding area, contact H&H Heating and Air! We’re available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in the event of an emergency.
Heat Pump Repairs and Maintenance
Clogged coils, dirty filters and fans reduce the amount of air that flows out of your heat pump. Professional maintenance service should be performed at least once a year. Among the jobs that will be taken care of:
- Inspection of ducts, filters, indoor coils and the blower for signs of obstructions
- Diagnosis of seal duct leakage
- Verification of adequate airflow by measurement
- Checking for refrigerant leaks
- Inspection of electric terminals, as well as cleaning and tightening connections
- Application of non-conductive coating
- Verification of correct refrigerant charge by measurement
- Verification of correct thermostat operation
- Verification of correct electric control
- Lubrication of motors and inspection of belts for tightness and wear
In some cases, using a heat pump can reduce the amount of electricity you use by as much as 40 percent. But, in extremely cold temperatures, the heat pump’s efficiency drops off quite a bit, which is why they aren’t used as much in areas that experience severe winters.
Some models of heat pumps come with variable-speed or dual-speed motors. These controls help keep the air moving at a comfortable speed, keeping rooms from getting stuffy and helping keep air quality clean.
Interested in learning more about heat pumps in McKinney or the surrounding area? Contact H&H Heating and Air for help! We’ll happily go over any questions that you have.